Open Data Workshop Study Hubs 2024

Study Hubs for Open Data Workshop 2024

For Open Data Workshop 2024 , we are encouraging participants to host or join “Study Hubs” to work through the tutorials and data challenges together.

Study Hubs can be organized by the workshop mentors or also by participants who would like to work on the tutorials and notebooks together.

If you would like to host a Study Hub, we encourage you to advertise it here. Please reply to this post, and include information people will need to join your hub. Please include:

• Study Hub location and time.
  • How many people can join?
  • How do participants sign-up? Is there a registration form?
  • Any other information relevant to the participants, e.g. COVID protocols.

You are welcome to contact the workshop organizers with any questions.

See you at the Study Hubs :smiley: :mortar_board: !

1 Like

For the volunteers to host the study hubs, we indeed need your help to create a registration form to record some simple information (including name, nationality, affiliation, position) for statistics.
Please refer to Registration of Gravitational Wave Open Data Workshop #7 (2024) (registration form of the ODW hosted in Taiwan)

• Study Hub location and time:* Main GW open data workshop @ NMNS (https://www.nmns.edu.tw/en/) in Taichung City of Taiwan/ Apr 18-20

• How many people can join: 40 or more

• How do participants sign-up? Is there a registration form?
    Participants can visit the website and fill the registration form

Depending on the situation of the COVID pandemic and the policy of Taiwanese government, we will circulate the related information to all the participants.

• Will there be experienced GW analysts (mentors) at your hub?
    Yes, we provide 6-7 mentors to serve both on-site and on-line.

1 Like

Hi all,

We are organizing a study hub in Pune (India) at the Inter-University Centre for Astronomy and Astrophysics

• Study Hub location and time: Smart classroom on the 1st floor of IUCAA TLC building. The sessions will take place from 18-20 April 2024 between 11:30 - 16:30 IST.
  • How many people can join? Max 25 people.
  • How do participants sign-up? Is there a registration form? Please register using the google form here . Deadline is 5th April, 2024. Selected participants will be notified by email.
  • Will experienced GW analysts (mentors) be at your hub to answer questions? Yes, we will have GW experts happy to answer your questions about the tutorials and GW science.

We look forward to meeting you in Pune.

Hi all,

Here I put the spots of the available study hubs all over the world:
“[Study Hubs map]”
I will continuously add the new places on the map.

1 Like

International Centre for Theoretical Sciences (ICTS), Bangalore, India

We are organizing a study hub at ICTS, Bangalore, India. The details are as follows:

• Date and time: 18-20 April, 10:00 AM to 5:30 PM (IST)

• Number of participants: 40-50

• Registration link: Kindly register here. The deadline is 31 March, 2024.

• Mentors will be available in-person to answer the questions during the workshop.

Hope to see you at ICTS soon!

1 Like

We will be hosting a study hub for GW ODW 2024 at IIT Bombay. Please note the details below:

• Date and time: 19-21 April. 1600 to 1900 hrs (IST)
  • Number of participants: 25-30
  • Registration: Please fill up this google form to register. The deadline is 6th April 2024.
  • Mentors: GW Data Science experts will be available in person to answer the questions during the workshop.

We are looking forward to meeting you soon.
Kindly bring your laptop to the study hub with a unix-based operating system (alternatively, windows users can install WSL-2)

2 Likes

Hi, we will host a Study Hub in Trieste (Italy) at the Physics Department of the University of Trieste. Details below:

• Location: via Alfonso Valerio 2, Dipartimento di Fisica, 34127 Trieste.
  • Date and time: April 18, 22, 23 between 16:00 and 18:00 local time (CEST). We will meet in “Aula D” on the 18th, in “Aula Poropat” the 22nd and in “Aula T21” the 23rd.
  • Max number of participants: about 20
  • How to register: please fill this registration form
  • How to register: 2-3 experts in Gravitational Wave data analysis will be present to reply to your questions
1 Like

Hi all,

We will host a study hub at Caltech (Pasadena, CA) in the Normand Bridge Laboratory of Physics, West. See details below:

• Date and Time: April 18, 19, 22 from 16:00 to 18:30 PDT
  • Registration Form: https://forms.gle/XFDEYawoG3CYPKQV6
  • Participants Limit: 30 attendees
  • Mentors: GW experts (3 Post-Docs and 1 PhD candidate) will be there in person.

Looking forward to the workshop!

1 Like

Dear all,

We will host a study hub in Toulouse (France) at the Laboratoire des 2 Infinis Toulouse. See details below:

• Date and Time: 24-26 April from 10AM to 5PM (CEST)
  • Registration Form: use this form
  • Location: Maison de la Recherche et de la Valorisation, 75 cours des Sciences, 31400 Toulouse, France (campus map, detailled indications)
  • Participants Limit: 20 attendees
  • Mentors: experts (1 researcher, PhD students and post-doc) will be there in person.

Hi all,

We are organizing a hybrid study hub in Guadalajara (Mexico) at the Grupo de Análisis de Datos en Ondas Gravitacionales:

• Location: Tecnológico de Monterrey Campus Guadalajara (specific location and zoom link will be provided after the registration process in finished).
  • Date and time: 18-20 April, 10:00am to 4:00pm local time (CST).
  • How many people can join: 25 in-person; 25 online.
  • Registration: Please register here. The deadline is 15 April, 2024
  • Will there be experienced GW analysts (mentors) at your hub?. Yes. We have researchers and graduate students with experience in GW data analysis and as mentors in previous ODW study hubs.
  • Other information: We encourage students, professors, researchers or anyone interested in GW data science to join our study hub.

See you soon ¡

If anyone is hosting a study in Potsdam, DE (University of Potsdam or AEI, Golm) before 22nd April please let me know.

Hey Everyone!
We are organizing an in person study hub at GeorgiaTech, Atlanta. Details are as follows:

• Study Hub Location and time: Gilbert Hillhouse Boggs Building, GeorgiaTech, Atlanta. The sessions will be held from April 18 to April 20, 11:00am to 3:00pm.
  • How many people can join?: A maximum of 20 people
  • How do participants sign up? Is there a registration form?: Please register using the google form (https://forms.gle/3taN9ywVi9YXuEot5) before April 15. We will inform selected participants over email.
  • Will experienced GW analysts (mentors) be at your hub to answer questions?: Yes! We will have experts and researchers in the field available to assist you and answer your questions.

Looking forward to having you here!

I did not get how the study hubs work. Can I join yours online? or it must be in person? I’m in Canada now.

Hi Lucas, the study hubs are in general intended to be in person since they work much better in that case. We try to arrange many study hubs geografically spead around but we cannot cover everywhere and for some cases the possibility of joining on line is also given. The lectures are held in Taiwan this year and I think they will offer also the possibility to join the study hub online just after the leacture if it is good for you time zone.

Dear Lucas,

As mentioned by Agata, the study hub is hosted for the people who would like to attend in-person at different time zones. If you cannot find a study hub close to your living place, we still offer the way (through thinkific.com) for people to join the lectures on line. Please visit this link: GWOSC Gravitational Wave Open Data Workshop #6
We’ll upload the video soon after each session. It means that we’ll upload our recorded videos of the morning session at noon. If you do not want to wait, we also provide the youtube broadcast through the GWOSC channel. You can also join the live broadcast.

Hi all, we are hosting a Study Hub in Rome, La Sapienza.

• Study Hub location and time:* La Sapienza, Rome, Sala Calcolo, Fermi Building (CU013), April 18-22
  • How many people can join: 40 maximum
  • How do participants sign-up? Is there a registration form? Registration form is at this link
    No particular information
  • Will there be experienced GW analysts (mentors) at your hub?
    Yes, there will be mentors

Dear all,

The live broadcast stream of 2024 GW ODW can be found on the youtube:

1 Like

Hi all!

I’ve arrived quite late to the discussion, but I’ll be connecting remotely from Santiago, Chile :slight_smile: Thought of joining online into Monterrey Tec’s Study Hub at Guadalajara, but I’d miss some classes/meetings here :frowning:

So I’m offering two options to whomever might be interested (if so, please fill in this registration form) in any of them:

in-person online
Location TBD (upon agreement), within Santiago :chile: . There’s space at my office in UC Chile San Joaquín Campus (Av. Vicuña Mackenna 4860, Macul ; San Joaquín Metro Station) Meeting at Microsoft Teams (link provided upon registration)
How many people can join? UC Chile San Joaquín Campus, I can offer up to 2 slots. I’m open to finding other places if we are more than 3 a lot (up to a thousand if I’m understanding UC Chile’s Microsoft Teams license correctly)

I’m also open to coordinating a hybrid hub! (intersect the two columns above)

Date and time: TBD upon agreement; this is my availability (both in-person and online)

UTC-04 (Mainland Chile Winter Time) UTC
Thu 18, 7:00am - 9:30am Thu 18, 11:00am - 1:30pm
Thu 18, 6:00pm - 9:00pm Thu 18, 10:00pm - Fri 19, 1:00am
Fri 19, 7:00 - 11:00am Fri 19, 11:00am - 3:00pm
Fri 19, 7:30 - 9:00 pm Fri 19, 11:30pm - Sat 20, 1:00am
Sat 20, 1:00+ pm Sat 20, 5:00+ pm

Further info: feel free to contact me to coordinate further details!

email WhatsApp
vipena@uc.cl (+56) 9 7981 4066

All the best!
-v.