Criteria for the events that are listed in event portal

Hi,

Number of (super)events that are listed in GraceDB during O3ab is significantly larger than the events that are actually listed in event portal (the reduction factor is enormous). I understand that some of the (super)events turn out not to be from astrophysical origin, or SNR is not high enough or there are other problems, but I would like to know the main criteria that gives a (super)event the privilege to be listed in event portal.

Thanks

Hi @Maryam ! Thank you for the question.

The main criteria for publishing an event in the Event Portal, is that the event should be published in a catalog paper.

For O3 events, most of these are either in the GWTC-2.1 or GWTC-3 catalog papers (linked below).

These papers, in turn, set thresholds on either p-astro or FAR for inclusion.

From the GWTC-3 abstract:
“There are 35 compact binary coalescence candidates identified by at least one of our search algorithms with a probability of astrophysical origin pastro>0.5. Of these”

And from the GWTC-2.1 abstract:
"We calculate the source properties of a subset of 44 high-significance candidates that have an astrophysical probability greater than 0.5. "

I’m not sure about the idea that there are a lot more events in GraceDB compared with the Event Portal. Looking at the GraceDB O3 alerts page, I see 56 events.

Looking at the set of GWTC-2.1 and GWTC-3 events in the Event Portal, I see a total of 79 events, which is a little more than the set of public alerts from O3.