Question about data analysis gravitational wave candidates

Peace upoan you all. I’m doing a research project, I want to use the skill and follow the same process that I’ve learned in the Gravitational Wave Open Data Workshop 2024. Is it possible to use the candidate events (Not confirmed yet) so I can investigate if they are signals? I’m gonna use all the codes and the software tools provided in GWOSC.

Hi salanl:
The question answered by Mr. Jonah can help you to find the website containing the information about the candidates.

Best

1 Like

Hello, thank you for replying. I couldn’t see the candidate strain data for the fourth observing report, are they released for the public? If you can send me the link. One more question, the software packages can only be applied to the data available in GWOSC?

I am not sure whether O4 run data is released or not. For each operation run, the scientist needs to run a full analysis on that, something like pycbc or other pipelines. Based on some threshold( such as false alarm rate) they will give out some triggers. So for all the candidates, one may need to wait for it.

the software packages can only be applied to the data available in GWOSC?
The package such as gwpy can deal with all types of data, with a lot of well-constructed built-in functions. But maybe one needs to first convert the data into gwpy instance such as TimeSeries in order to use their bulit-in methods/functions.

The O4 run is still ongoing and there are no public releases of strain data yet, except for one published event. There are also trigger alerts that you can subscribe to, but those won’t release any strain data.

For more information on the observation planing you can check out this page:

https://observing.docs.ligo.org/plan/