Guide to reproduce a paper named 'On the time lags of LIGO signal'

This is Asra, a postgraduate student at the department of Physics, University of Karachi, Pakistan. I have a background in Astrophysics and Cosmology. I found this paper very interesting and wants to reproduce the results in order to analyze the noise reported in it, but the problem is, this is my first encounter with gravitational waves analysis. I need guidance.
Link to paper: [1706.04191] On the time lags of the LIGO signals

Hello Asra,

You’re trying to tackle a broad problem! I would suggest that to increase the likelihood of receiving helpful responses, you might consider providing a more specific question. For example details about what you’ve already tried and where you’re specifically encountering challenges. People are generally more inclined to respond when the question is focused on a particular problem.

Good luck and looking forward to seeing your progress!

Respected Sir,

I am grateful for your guidance.
I will do accordingly.

Thank you.

Yours sincerely,
Asra Jamil

@AsraJamil Thank you for the question.

You may want to start on the GWOSC tutorials page. In particular, there is a heading for “Guide to GW detections and noise”. The associated tutorials will show you how to recreate many of the plots in the paper you mention, and the linked paper is also relevant.

Good luck!

Thanks for the guidance Jonah.

Hello,
Could you please guide me, how to fix this error?

Hi Asra,

Here’s a related question that may help

Hello Martinberoiz,

Thank you for directing me to the related query…
I tried this and getting another error. Could you please guide further?

The “FileNotFoundError” at the top suggests that GWpy can’t find the file you’re asking it to open. Namely “H-H1_LOSC_4…hdf5”. You should make sure that you have that file in the same folder as the notebook you are running this from.

Thank you!
It’s working now…

The codes which I intended to run, was initially using readligo.py. I am using gwpy as suggesting in “Assistance Needed: Installing/Importing readligo Module in VS Code” Could you please elaborate the difference between these two?

Link to the code:
https://gwosc.org/s/events/GW150914/GW150914_tutorial.html

@AsraJamil Thank you for the question!

gwpy is a general purpose library for working with gravitational-wave data. It supports several different file formats, and includes a number of tools for signal processing, segment manipulation, and plotting data.

ReadLIGO, on the other hand, is a minimal package that reads in data files downloaded from the GWOSC website, and not much else. We created it some years ago to serve as open-source example code showing how to read files from the GWOSC website, and as a handy tool that’s easy to install.

For the most part, gwpy has more functionality and a larger user community, so you are better off using gwpy in most cases.

Thank you for the explanation @Jonah.